The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me
- to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to
- bind up the brokenhearted,
- to proclaim freedom for the captives
- and release from darkness for the prisoners,
- to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor and the day of vengeance of our God,
- to comfort all who mourn,
- and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
- to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor. (Isaiah 61:1-3)
How do we testify to the work God does in our lives? Are we remaining silent, or are we sharing, proclaiming, shouting, evangelizing, and witnessing to God’s goodness? I have recently had numerous opportunities to share about what God has been doing in my life and how he has changed things. My story falls under the point above from Isaiah 61:1, “release from darkness for the prisoners”. I spent the last four and a half years as a prisoner in darkness. I did not really understand that was where I was living when I was there, but now that God has changed it I can see it so clearly. Just over three months ago he broke through that darkness and my entire outlook on life and faith changed. A confusion and darkness that had bound my life was lifted and God brought in new life. I realized this week that I have not needed to take Melatonin to sleep for a long time. That is the strongest drug I ever allowed myself to take as it is natural and non-addicting, but I had used it fairly regularly over the last 4+ years. One more area of freedom in my life that I now see.
This passage from Isaiah makes it clear that Christ was annointed and sent for specific purposes. How have you been touched by his annointing and his purpose? What difference has he made in your life? Are you able to share that clearly with yourself? Are you willing to share it with others?