Over the last few days I have experienced such deep change in my mind and heart. I have reached new places in my journey and my recovery. During this time I have felt such eagerness and urgency to deal with issues, learn, get right before God, and a desire to move to the next stage of the journey and my recovery. I deeply desire to set things right and to be sure that I do not continue in my sin even one more day.
Yesterday as I was in Scripture I learned that these feelings are mentioned by Paul.
Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death. See what this godly sorrow has produced in you: what earnestness, what eagerness to clear yourselves, what indignation, what alarm, what longing, what concern, what readiness to see justice done. At every point you have proved yourselves to be innocent in this matter. (2 Corinthians 7:10-11)
Characteristics of Godly sorrow:
- Earnestness- genuine desire to deal with issues
- Eagerness to clear yourselves – eager for restoration of broken relationships and damage that has been done and openness to restoration process and transparency regarding sin and recovery – not about restoring your name but about restoring God’s name
- Indignation – righteous anger over the sin in your life and the pain it has caused
- Alarm – over your sin and how it has caused damage and a desire to resolve things quickly to prevent further damage
- Longing- a desire for everything to be restored to its proper place and to be in right relationship with God and man
- Concern -a burning desire to do what is right and to sin no more
- Readiness to see justice done – desire to see things be corrected and made right and a willingness to accept the consequences of your sin and to pay restitution where needed
Paul does not give these to us so we know how to act to prove our genuineness, but instead he is showing what genuine Godly sorrow will look like. It is good to test everyone to know they are genuine and to see these things exhibited over time. If you are walking closely enough with someone and are leaning on God’s understanding you will be able to tell if they are genuine.